Saturday, June 23, 2012

Another Beans story

Thank you everyone. I love all my horses & all horses are special but some are more special and Beans was one of the more special ones.

Beans nearly died when he was born. He was about 6 weeks late but was still dysmature. The vet said that him being so late was "nature's way of trying to get him fully baked." But he was not quite fully baked. He came out & just laid there. I tried to count his heart rate but it was so fast that I could not discern individual beats. I went up to the house to call my vet & when I got back to the barn, Dave had picked him up & was walking/dragging him around the stall. He said that he felt the colt was quitting on life & he had to try something. It worked & he was more alert now. Vet came, did his thing & we then picked him up, held him in place at the mare & he did nurse. Then we laid him back down since he was too weak to put himself down.
I spent that night, picking him up every hour, holding him steady, letting him stand a while, then laying him back down. Dave went to bed. The next morning, when Dave got up, he asked "how's ol' Beanyard this morning?" He was disappointed that this was not a bay filly, so he was partially being snide. But later that afternoon, I found Dave sitting in the stall, w/Beans' head in his lap, and he announced that we probably should not sell this one.
I spent that day picking Beans up each hour so he could nurse. He was getting stronger each time. That evening, I went out & he was up on his own & nursing! He even laid himself back down. I watched him into the early night to be sure but he was ok then.
It was interesting to note that for the first 4 days, he had no face expression--none. He was just blank. Then on the 5th day, I walk out to be greeted by COLT on HIND LEGS, waving his front legs at me. On one hand, I was ecstatic that he now had personality and life; but on the other hand I had to let him know that behaviour towards humans was not acceptable.
Now I started his foal training--wearing a halter, leading, giving to pressure, picking up feet, no rearing, no biting, no kicking--all the normal foal training. He was smart & learned fast.
Yeah, he has always been special.

No comments: