Friday, March 20, 2009

A Day in the Desert

I don't know how many photos I took as they are still in the camera and not downloaded yet, but I know I took a lot. I drove my favored route through the San Diego County back country and down into Borrego desert yesterday to visit my parents and my sister and her husband who were there for the week. Because the rains were wonderfully timed and abundant this season, the desert was in full bloom. It was the year of the desert dandelion, a mass blooming that my parents had not seen the likes of in their 20 years there. Purple verbena was lush along the road sides. Popcorn flower had its white bloom most everywhere. A few cactus were starting to bloom but most will be blooming later although many octillo had their bright red flowers open. The yellow brittlebush (try saying that fast 3 times!) were blooming in many places. There wer lupine up in Culp Valley and down Coyote Canyon. There were desert poppies and ghost flower up another canyon. And quite a few more whose names I have forgotten. Photos will be coming on this blog once I have a chance to download.

No comments: